Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Umer bin Khattab's Love, Care & Friendship with Ali bin Talib (ra)

Bukhari

Umer names Ali on this deathbed as one of the 6 who lead the Ummah

(34) Narrated 'Amr bin Maimun Al-Audi: I saw 'umar bin Al-Khattab (when he was stabbed) saying, "O 'Abdullah bin 'umar! Go to the mother of the believers Aisha and say, 'umar bin Al-Khattab sends his greetings to you,' and request her to allow me to be buried with my companions." (So, Ibn 'umar conveyed the message to 'Aisha.) She said, "I had the idea of having this place for myself but today I prefer him ('umar) to myself (and allow him to be buried there)." When 'Abdullah bin 'umar returned, 'umar asked him, "What (news) do you have?" He replied, "O chief of the believers! She has allowed you (to be buried there)." On that 'umar said, "Nothing was more important to me than to be buried in that (sacred) place. So, when I expire, carry me there and pay my greetings to her ('Aisha ) and say, 'umar bin Al-Khattab asks permission; and if she gives permission, then bury me (there) and if she does not, then take me to the grave-yard of the Muslims. I do not think any person has more right for the caliphate than those with whom Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) was always pleased till his death. And whoever is chosen by the people after me will be the caliph, and you people must listen to him and obey him," and then he mentioned the name of 'Uthman, 'ali, Talha, Az-Zubair, 'Abdur-Rahman bin 'Auf and Sad bin Abi Waqqas. By this time a young man from Ansar came and said, "O chief of the believers! Be happy with Allah's glad tidings. The grade which you have in Islam is known to you, then you became the caliph and you ruled with justice and then you have been awarded martyrdom after all this." 'umar replied, "O son of my brother! Would that all that privileges will counterbalance (my short comings), so that I neither lose nor gain anything. I recommend my successor to be good to the early emigrants and realize their rights and to protect their honor and sacred things. And I also recommend him to be good to the Ansar who before them, had homes (in Medina) and had adopted the Faith. He should accept the good of the righteous among them and should excuse their wrongdoers. I recommend him to abide by the rules and regulations concerning the Dhimmis (protectees) of Allah and His Apostle, to fulfill their contracts completely and fight for them and not to tax (overburden) them beyond their capabilities."  (Book #23, Hadith #475)


Umer (ra) Give In To Ali Despite Disagreement

Narrated Malik bin Aus: While I was at home, the sun rose high and it got hot. Suddenly the messenger of 'umar bin Al-Khattab came to me and said, "The chief of the believers has sent for you." So, I went along with him till I entered the place where 'umar was sitting on a bedstead made of date-palm leaves and covered with no mattress, and he was leaning over a leather pillow. I greeted him and sat down. He said, "O Malik! Some persons of your people who have families came to me and I have ordered that a gift should be given to them, so take it and distribute it among them." I said, "O chief of the believers! I wish that you order someone else to do it." He said, "O man! Take it." While I was sitting there with him, his doorman Yarfa' came saying, "'Uthman, 'Abdur-Rahman bin 'Auf, Az-Zubair and Sad bin Abi Waqqas are asking your permission (to see you); may I admit them?" 'umar said, "Yes", So they were admitted and they came in, greeted him, and sat down. After a while Yarfa' came again and said, "May I admit 'ali and 'Abbas?" 'umar said, "yes." So, they were admitted and they came in and greeted (him) and sat down. Then 'Abbas said, "O chief of the believers! Judge between me and this (i.e. 'ali)." They had a dispute regarding the property of Bani An-Nadir which Allah had given to His Apostle as Fai. The group (i.e. 'Uthman and his companions) said, "O chief of the believers! Judge between them and relieve both of them front each other." 'umar said, "Be patient! I beseech you by Allah by Whose Permission the Heaven and the Earth exist, do you know that Allah's Apostle said, 'Our (i.e. prophets') property will not be inherited, and whatever we leave, is Sadaqa (to be used for charity),' and Allah's Apostle meant himself (by saying "we'')?" The group said, "He said so." 'umar then turned to 'ali and 'Abbas and said, "I beseech you by Allah, do you know that Allah's Apostle said so?" They replied, " He said so." 'umar then said, "So, I will talk to you about this matter. Allah bestowed on His Apostle with a special favor of something of this Fai (booty) which he gave to nobody else." 'umar then recited the Holy Verses: "What Allah bestowed as (Fai) Booty on his Apostle (Muhammad) from them --- for this you made no expedition with either cavalry or camelry: But Allah gives power to His Apostles over whomever He will 'And Allah is able to do all things." 9:6) 'umar added "So this property was especially given to Allah's Apostle, but, by Allah, neither did he take possession of it and leave your, nor did he favor himself with it to your exclusion, but he gave it to all of you and distributed it amongst you till this property remained out of it. Allah's Apostle used to spend the yearly expenses of his family out of this property and used to keep the rest of its revenue to be spent on Allah 's Cause. Allah 's Apostle kept on doing this during all his lifetime. I ask you by Allah do you know this?" They replies in the affirmative. 'umar then said to 'ali and 'Abbas. "I ask you by Allah, do you know this?" 'umar added, "When Allah had taken His Prophet unto Him, 'Abu Bakr said, 'I am the successor of Allah's Apostle so, Abu Bakr took over that property and managed it in the same way as Allah's Apostle used to do, and Allah knows that he was true, pious and rightly-guided, and he was a follower of what was right. Then Allah took Abu Bakr unto Him and I became Abu Bakr's successor, and I kept that property in my possession for the first two years of my Caliphate, managing it in the same way as Allah's Apostle used to do and as Abu Bakr used to do, and Allah knows that I have been true, pious, rightly guided, and a follower of what is right. Now you both (i.e. 'Ah and 'Abbas) came to talk to me, bearing the same claim and presenting the same case; you, 'Abbas, came to me asking for your share from your nephew's property, and this man, i.e. 'ali, came to me asking for his wife's share from her father's property. I told you both that Allah's Apostle said, 'Our (prophets') properties are not to be inherited, but what we leave is Sadaqa (to be used for charity).' When I thought it right that I should hand over this property to you, I said to you, 'I am ready to hand over this property to you if you wish, on the condition that you would take Allah's Pledge and Convention that you would manage it in the same way as Allah's Apostle used to, and as Abu Bakr used to do, and as I have done since I was in charge of it.' So, both of you said (to me), 'Hand it over to us,' and on that condition I handed it over to you. So, I ask you by Allah, did I hand it over to them on this condition?" The group aid, "Yes." Then 'umar faced 'ali and Abbas saying, "I ask you by Allah, did I hand it over to you on this condition?" They said, "Yes. " He said, " Do you want now to give a different decision? By Allah, by Whose Leave both the Heaven and the Earth exist, I will never give any decision other than that (I have already given). And if you are unable to manage it, then return it to me, and I will do the job on your behalf."  (Book #53, Hadith #326)

Ali (ra) Opinion of Umer (ra)

Narrated Muhammad bin Al-Hanafiya: I asked my father ('ali bin Abi Talib), "Who are the best people after Allah's Apostle ?" He said, "Abu Bakr." I asked, "Who then?" He said, "Then 'umar. " I was afraid he would say "Uthman, so I said, "Then you?" He said, "I am only an ordinary person.  (Book #57, Hadith #20)

Ali (ra) Opition of Umer (ra)
Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: While I was standing amongst the people who were invoking Allah for umar bin Al-Khattab who was lying (dead) on his bed, a man behind me rested his elbows on my shoulder and said, "(O 'umar!) May Allah bestow His Mercy on you. I always hoped that Allah will keep you with your two companions, for I often heard Allah's Apostle saying, "I, Abu Bakr and 'umar were (somewhere). I, Abu Bakr and 'umar did (something). I, Abu Bakr and 'umar set out.' So I hoped that Allah will keep you with both of them." I turned back to see that the speaker was ali bin Abi Talib.  (Book #57, Hadith #26)


Narrated Ibn Abbas: When (the dead body of) 'umar was put on his deathbed, the people gathered around him and invoked (Allah) and prayed for him before the body was taken away, and I was amongst them. Suddenly I felt somebody taking hold of my shoulder and found out that he was 'ali bin Abi Talib. 'ali invoked Allah's Mercy for 'umar and said, "O 'umar! You have not left behind you a person whose deeds I like to imitate and meet Allah with more than I like your deeds. By Allah! I always thought that Allah would keep you with your two companions, for very often I used to hear the Prophet saying, 'I, Abu Bakr and 'umar went (somewhere); I, Abu Bakr and 'umar entered (somewhere); and I, Abu Bakr and 'umar went out."'  (Book #57, Hadith #34)

Son of Umer (ra) Opinion of Ali (ra)

Narrated Sad bin 'Ubaida: A man came to Ibn 'umar and asked about 'Uthman and Ibn 'umar mentioned his good deeds and said to the questioner. "Perhaps these facts annoy you?" The other said, "Yes." Ibn 'umar said, "May Allah stick your nose in the dust (i.e. degrade you)!' Then the man asked him about 'ali. Ibn 'umar mentioned his good deeds and said, "It is all true, and that is his house in the midst of the houses of the Prophet. Perhaps these facts have hurt you?" The questioner said, "Yes." Ibn 'umar said, "May Allah stick your nose in the dust (i.e. degrade you or make you do things which you hate) ! Go away and do whatever you can against me."  (Book #57, Hadith #54)

Ali (ra) did not differentiate from Umer (ra) ...This shows the how having the same psychological "burden" was carried by both

Az-Zubair said, "I met Ubaida bin Said bin Al-As on the day (of the battle) of Badr and he was covered with armor; so much that only his eyes were visible. He was surnamed Abu Dhat-al-Karish. He said (proudly), 'I am Abu-al-Karish.' I attacked him with the spear and pierced his eye and he died. I put my foot over his body to pull (that spear) out, but even then I had to use a great force to take it out as its both ends were bent." 'Urwa said, "Later on Allah's Apostle asked Az-Zubair for the spear and he gave it to him. When Allah's Apostle died, Az-Zubair took it back. After that Abu Bakr demanded it and he gave it to him, and when Abu Bakr died, Az-Zubair took it back. 'umar then demanded it from him and he gave it to him. When 'umar died, Az-Zubair took it back, and then 'Uthman demanded it from him and he gave it to him. When 'Uthman was martyred, the spear remained with ali's offspring. Then 'Abdullah bin Az-Zubair demanded it back, and it remained with him till he was martyred.  (Book #59, Hadith #333)

The Blessing of Ali (ra) not giving Bayah to Abu Bakr from the Start.... now no one can say he was forced into it.  Why did he become an advisor to Abu Bakr (ra) and Umer (ra)

Narrated 'Aisha: Fatima the daughter of the Prophet sent someone to Abu Bakr (when he was a caliph), asking for her inheritance of what Allah's Apostle had left of the property bestowed on him by Allah from the Fai (i.e. booty gained without fighting) in Medina, and Fadak, and what remained of the Khumus of the Khaibar booty. On that, Abu Bakr said, "Allah's Apostle said, "Our property is not inherited. Whatever we leave, is Sadaqa, but the family of (the Prophet) Muhammad can eat of this property.' By Allah, I will not make any change in the state of the Sadaqa of Allah's Apostle and will leave it as it was during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle, and will dispose of it as Allah's Apostle used to do." So Abu Bakr refused to give anything of that to Fatima. So she became angry with Abu Bakr and kept away from him, and did not task to him till she died. She remained alive for six months after the death of the Prophet. When she died, her husband 'ali, buried her at night without informing Abu Bakr and he said the funeral prayer by himself. When Fatima was alive, the people used to respect 'ali much, but after her death, 'ali noticed a change in the people's attitude towards him. So ali sought reconciliation with Abu Bakr and gave him an oath of allegiance. 'ali had not given the oath of allegiance during those months (i.e. the period between the Prophet's death and Fatima's death). 'ali sent someone to Abu Bakr saying, "Come to us, but let nobody come with you," as he disliked that 'umar should come, 'umar said (to Abu Bakr), "No, by Allah, you shall not enter upon them alone " Abu Bakr said, "What do you think they will do to me? By Allah, I will go to them' So Abu Bakr entered upon them, and then 'ali uttered Tashah-hud and said (to Abu Bakr), "We know well your superiority and what Allah has given you, and we are not jealous of the good what Allah has bestowed upon you, but you did not consult us in the question of the rule and we thought that we have got a right in it because of our near relationship to Allah's Apostle ." Thereupon Abu Bakr's eyes flowed with tears. And when Abu Bakr spoke, he said, "By Him in Whose Hand my soul is to keep good relations with the relatives of Allah's Apostle is dearer to me than to keep good relations with my own relatives. But as for the trouble which arose between me and you about his property, I will do my best to spend it according to what is good, and will not leave any rule or regulation which I saw Allah's Apostle following, in disposing of it, but I will follow." On that 'ali said to Abu Bakr, "I promise to give you the oath of allegiance in this after noon." So when Abu Bakr had offered the Zuhr prayer, he ascended the pulpit and uttered the Tashah-hud and then mentioned the story of 'ali and his failure to give the oath of allegiance, and excused him, accepting what excuses he had offered; Then 'ali (got up) and praying (to Allah) for forgiveness, he uttered Tashah-hud, praised Abu Bakr's right, and said, that he had not done what he had done because of jealousy of Abu Bakr or as a protest of that Allah had favored him with. 'ali added, "But we used to consider that we too had some right in this affair (of rulership) and that he (i.e. Abu Bakr) did not consult us in this matter, and therefore caused us to feel sorry." On that all the Muslims became happy and said, "You have done the right thing." The Muslims then became friendly with 'ali as he returned to what the people had done (i.e. giving the oath of allegiance to Abu Bakr).  (Book #59, Hadith #546)

The son of Umer (ra) is narrating about Ali (ra).  If Umer's family disliked Ai (ra) Why would they narrate about Ali

Narrated Ibn umar: The Prophet assumed the state of Ihram for Umra and Hajj, and we to assumed it for Hajj with him. When we arrived at Mecca, the Prophet said, "Whoever does not possess a Hadi should regard his Ihram for Umra only." The Prophet had a Hadi with him. 'ali bin Abi Talib came to us from Yemen with the intention of performing Hajj. The Prophet said (to him), "With what intention have you assumed the Ihram, for your wife is with us?" 'ali said, "I assumed the lhram with the same intention as that of the Prophet ." The Prophet said, "Keep on the state of lhram, as we have got the Hadi."  (Book #59, Hadith #640)

Umer (ra) said what?
Narrated Ibn Abbas: umar said, "Our best Qur'an reciter is Ubai and our best judge is 'ali; and in spite of this, we leave some of the statements of Ubai because Ubai says, 'I do not leave anything that I have heard from Allah's Apostle while Allah: "Whatever verse (Revelations) do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten but We bring a better one or similar to it." (2.106)  (Book #60, Hadith #8)

Umer's son speaking the turth about Usman and Ali
He did not look at the Zahir of the khulafah, oh my dads ruling was so awesome, and there were no issues and problems....

Narrated Nafi': During the affliction of Ibn Az-Zubair, two men came to Ibn 'umar and said, "The people are lost, and you are the son of 'umar, and the companion of the Prophet, so what forbids you from coming out?" He said, "What forbids me is that Allah has prohibited the shedding of my brother's blood." They both said, "Didn't Allah say, 'And fight then until there is no more affliction?" He said "We fought until there was no more affliction and the worship is for Allah (Alone while you want to fight until there is affliction and until the worship become for other than Allah." Narrated Nafi (through another group of sub-narrators): A man came to Ibn 'umar and said, "O Abu Abdur Rahman! What made you perform Hajj in one year and Umra in another year and leave the Jihad for Allah' Cause though you know how much Allah recommends it?" Ibn 'umar replied, "O son of my brother! Islam is founded on five principles, i.e. believe in Allah and His Apostle, the five compulsory prayers, the fasting of the month of Ramadan, the payment of Zakat, and the Hajj to the House (of Allah)." The man said, "O Abu Abdur Rahman! Won't you listen to why Allah has mentioned in His Book: 'If two groups of believers fight each other, then make peace between them, but if one of then transgresses beyond bounds against the other, then you all fight against the one that transgresses. (49.9) and:--"And fight them till there is no more affliction (i.e. no more worshiping of others along with Allah)." Ibn 'umar said, "We did it, during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle when Islam had only a few followers. A man would be put to trial because of his religion; he would either be killed or tortured. But when the Muslims increased, there was no more afflictions or oppressions." The man said, "What is your opinion about 'Uthman and 'ali?" Ibn 'umar said, "As for 'Uthman, it seems that Allah has forgiven him, but you people dislike that he should be forgiven. And as for 'ali, he is the cousin of Allah's Apostle and his son-in-law." Then he pointed with his hand and said, "That is his house which you see."  (Book #60, Hadith #40)

Fiqh of Ali (ra) was in the mind of the Son of Umer (ra)

Narrated Nafi: Ibn 'umar used to say about the Ila (which Allah defined (in the Holy Book), "If the period of Ila expires, then the husband has either to retain his wife in a handsome manner or to divorce her as Allah has ordered." Ibn 'umar added, "When the period of four months has expired, the husband should be put in prison so that he should divorce his wife, but the divorce does not occur unless the husband himself declares it. This has been mentioned by 'Uthman, 'ali, Abu Ad-Darda, 'Aisha and twelve other companions of the Prophet ."  (Book #63, Hadith #213)

Ali & Umer always together, and complete one another in incidental ways
Khawarij was another one of these

Narrated ali: Allah's Apostle sent me along with AzZubair and Al-Miqdad and said, "Proceed till you reach a place called Raudat-Khakh where there is a lady travelling in a howda on a camel. She has a letter. Take the letter from her." So we set out, and our horses ran at full pace till we reached Raudat Khakh, and behold, we saw the lady and said (to her), "Take out the letter!" She said, "I have no letter with me." We said, "Either you take out the letter or we will strip you of your clothes." So she took the letter out of her hair braid. We brought the letter to the Prophet and behold, it was addressed by Hatib bin Abi Balta'a to some pagans at Mecca, informing them of some of the affairs of the Prophet. The Prophet said, "What is this, O Hatib?" Hatib replied, "Do not be hasty with me, O Allah's Apostle! I am an Ansari man and do not belong to them (Quraish infidels) while the emigrants who were with you had their relatives who used to protect their families and properties at Mecca. So, to compensate for not having blood relation with them.' I intended to do them some favor so that they might protect my relatives (at Mecca), and I did not do this out of disbelief or an inclination to desert my religion." The Prophet then said (to his companions), "He (Hatib) has told you the truth." 'umar said, "O Allah's Apostle! Allow me to chop his head off?" The Apostle said, "He is one of those who witnessed (fought in) the Battle of Badr, and what do you know, perhaps Allah looked upon the people of Badr (Badr warriors) and said, 'Do what you want as I have forgiven you.' " (Amr, a sub-narrator, said,: This Verse was revealed about him (Hatib): 'O you who believe! Take not My enemies and your enemies as friends or protectors.' (60.1)  (Book #60, Hadith #412)

Umer (ra) used not let just anyone in, without making them wait. He would only the very pious in quickly.  The Mannerism of in Talking to Ali

Narrated Malik bin Aus bin Al-Hadathan: Once I set out to visit 'umar (bin Al-Khattab). (While I was sitting there with him his gate-keeper, Yarfa, came and said, "Uthman AbdurRahman (bin 'Auf), Az-Zubair and Sad (bin Abi Waqqas) are seeking permission (to meet you)." 'umar said, "Yes. So he admitted them and they entered, greeted, and sat down. After a short while Yarfa came again and said to 'umar 'Shall I admit 'ali and 'Abbas?" 'umar said, "Yes." He admitted them and when they entered, they greeted and sat down. 'Abbas said, "O Chief of the Believers! Judge between me and this ('ali)." The group, 'Uthman and his companions Sad, 'O Chief of the Believers! Judge between them and relieve one from the other." 'umar said. Wait! I beseech you by Allah, by Whose permission both the Heaven and the Earth stand fast ! Do you know that Allah's Apostle said. 'We (Apostles) do not bequeath anything to our heirs, but whatever we leave is to be given in charity.' And by that Allah's Apostles meant himself?" The group said, "He did say so." 'umar then turned towards 'All and 'Abbas and said. "I beseech you both by Allah, do you know that Allah's Apostle said that?" They said, 'Yes " 'umar said, "Now, let me talk to you about this matter. Allah favored His Apostle with something of this property (war booty) which He did not give to anybody else. And Allah said:-- 'And what Allah has bestowed on His Apostle (as Fai Booty) from them for which you made no expedition with either cavalry or camelry . . . Allah is Able to do all things.' (59.6) So this property was especially granted to Allah's Apostle. But by Allah he neither withheld it from you, nor did he keep it for himself and deprive you of it, but he gave it all to you and distributed it among you till only this remained out of it. And out of this property Allah's Apostle used to provide his family with their yearly needs, and whatever remained, he would spend where Allah's Property (the revenues of Zakat) used to be spent. Allah's Apostle kept on acting like this throughout his lifetime. Now I beseech you by Allah, do you know that?" They said, "Yes." Then 'umar said to 'ali and 'Abbas, "I beseech you by Allah, do you both know that?" They said, "Yes." 'umar added, "When Allah had taken His Apostle unto Him, Abu Bakr said, 'I am the successor of Allah's Apostle. So he took charge of that property and did with it the same what Allah's Apostle used to do, and both of you knew all about it then." Then 'umar turned towards 'ali and Abbas and said, "You both claim that Abu- Bakr was so-and-so! But Allah knows that he was honest, sincere, pious and right (in that matter). Then Allah caused Abu Bakr to die, and i said, 'I am the successor of Allah's Apostle and Abu Bakr.' So I kept this property in my possession for the first two years of my rule, and I used to do the same with it as Allah's Apostle and Abu Bakr used to do. Later both of you ('ali and 'Abbas) came to me with the same claim and the same problem. (O 'Abbas!) You came to me demanding your share from (the inheritance of) the son of your brother, and he ('ali) came to me demanding his wives share from (the inheritance of) her father. So I said to you, 'If you wish I will hand over this property to you, on condition that you both promise me before Allah that you will manage it in the same way as Allah's Apostle and Abu Bakr did, and as I have done since the beginning of my rule; otherwise you should not speak to me about it.' So you both said, 'Hand over this property to us on this condition.' And on this condition I handed it over to you. I beseech you by Allah, did I hand it over to them on that condition?" The group said, "Yes." 'umar then faced 'ali and 'Abbas and said, "I beseech you both by Allah, did I hand it over to you both on that condition?" They both said, "Yes." 'umar added, "Do you want me now to give a decision other than that? By Him with Whose permission (order) both the Heaven and the Earth stand fast, I will never give any decision other than that till the Hour is established! But if you are unable to manage it (that property), then return it to me and I will be sufficient for it on your behalf . "  (Book #64, Hadith #271)

Umer (ra) chooses Ali (ra) one of six
Narrated Al-Miswar bin Makhrama: The group of people whom 'umar had selected as candidates for the Caliphate gathered and consulted each other. Abdur-Rahman said to them, "I am not going to compete with you in this matter, but if you wish, I would select for you a caliph from among you." So all of them agreed to let 'Abdur-Rahman decide the case. So when the candidates placed the case in the hands of 'Abdur-Rahman, the people went towards him and nobody followed the rest of the group nor obeyed any after him. So the people followed 'Abdur-Rahman and consulted him all those nights till there came the night we gave the oath of allegiance to 'Uthman. Al-Miswar (bin Makhrama) added: 'Abdur-Rahman called on me after a portion of the night had passed and knocked on my door till I got up, and he said to me, "I see you have been sleeping! By Allah, during the last three nights I have not slept enough. Go and call Az-Zubair and Sa'd.' So I called them for him and he consulted them and then called me saying, 'Call 'ali for me." I called 'ali and he held a private talk with him till very late at night, and then 'Al, got up to leave having had much hope (to be chosen as a Caliph) but 'Abdur-Rahman was afraid of something concerning 'ali. 'Abdur-Rahman then said to me, "Call 'Uthman for me." I called him and he kept on speaking to him privately till the Mu'adhdhin put an end to their talk by announcing the Adhan for the Fajr prayer. When the people finished their morning prayer and that (six men) group gathered near the pulpit, 'Abdur-Rahman sent for all the Muhajirin (emigrants) and the Ansar present there and sent for the army chief who had performed the Hajj with 'umar that year. When all of them had gathered, 'Abdur-Rahman said, "None has the right to be worshipped but Allah," and added, "Now then, O 'ali, I have looked at the people's tendencies and noticed that they do not consider anybody equal to 'Uthman, so you should not incur blame (by disagreeing)." Then 'Abdur-Rahman said (to 'Uthman), "I gave the oath of allegiance to you on condition that you will follow Allah's Laws and the traditions of Allah's Apostle and the traditions of the two Caliphs after him." So 'Abdur-Rahman gave the oath of allegiance to him, and so did the people including the Muhajirin (emigrants) and the Ansar and the chiefs of the army staff and all the Muslims.  (Book #89, Hadith #314)

Muslim

Umer (ra) was the most passive while the Prophet has passed away
The most out of it
Ubaidullah b. Abdullah reported: I visited 'A'isha and asked her to tell about the illness of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him). She agreed and said: The Apostle (may peace be upon him) was seriously ill and he asked whether the people had prayed. We said: No, they are waiting for you, Messenger of Allah. He (the Holy Prophet) said: Put some water in the tub for me. We did accordingly and he (the Holy Prophet) took a bath;and, when he was about to move with difficulty, he fainted. When he came round, he again said: Have the people said prayer? We said: No, they are waiting for you, Messenger of Allah. He (the Holy Prophet) again said: Put some water for me in the tub. We did accordingly and he took a bag, but when he was about to move with difficultyhe fainted. When he came round, he asked whether the people had prayed. We said: No, they are waiting for you, Messenger of Allah. He said: Put some water for me in the tub. We did accordingly and he took a bath and he was about to move with difficulty when he fainted. When he came roundhe said: Have the people saidprayer? We said: No, they are waiting for you, Messenger of Allah. She ('A'isha) said: The people were staying in the mosque and waiting for the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) to lead the last (night) prayer. She ('A'isha) said: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) sent (instructions) to Abu Bakr to lead the people in prayer. When the messenger came, he told him (Abd Bakr): The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) has ordered you to lead the people in prayer. Abu Bakr who was a man of very tenderly feelings asked umar to lead the prayer. 'umar said: You are more entitled to that. Abu Bakr led the prayers during those days. Afterwards the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) felt some relief and he went out supported by two men, one of them was al-'Abbas, to the noon prayer. Abu Bakr was leading the people in prayer. When Abu Bakr saw him. he began to withdraw, but the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) told him not to withdraw. He told his two (companions) to seat him down beside him (Abu Bakr). They seated him by the side of Abu Bakr. Abu Bakr said the prayer standing while following the prayer of the Apostle (way peace be upon him) and the people Bald prayer (standing) while following the prayer of Abu Bakr. The Apostle (may peace be upon him) was seated. Ubaidullah said: I visited 'Abdullah b. 'Abbas, and said: Should I submit to you what 'A'isha had told about the illness of the Apostle (may peace be upon him)? He said: Go ahead. I submitted to him what had been transmitted by her ('A'isha). He objected to none of it, only asking whether she had named to him the man who accompanied al-'Abbas. I said: No. He said: It was 'ali.  (Book #004, Hadith #0832)

Ali (ra) Respected Umer opinion (ra) even when he disagreed

Hudain b. al-Mundhir Abu Sasan reported: I saw that Walid was brought to Uthmin b. 'Affan as he had prayed two rak'ahs of the dawn prayer, and then he said: I make an increase for you. And two men bore witness against him. One of them was Humran who said that he had drunk wine. The second one gave witness that he had seen him vomiting. Uthman said: He would not have vomited (wine) unless he had drunk it. He said: 'ali, stand up and lash him. 'ali said: Hasan, stand up and lash him. Thereupon Hasan said: Let him suffer the heat (of Caliphate) who has enjoyed its coolness. ('ali felt annoyed at this remark) and he said: 'Abdullah b. Ja'far, stand up and flog him, and he began to flog him and 'ali counted the stripes until these were forty. He (Hadrat 'ali) said: Stop now, and then said: Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) gave forty stripes, and Abu Bakr also gave forty stripes, and umar gave eighty stripes, and all these fall under the category of the Sunnab, but this one (forty stripes) is dearer to me.  (Book #017, Hadith #4231)

On your Mind , On your Tongue, Umer (ra) shows respect here to Ali (ra)
Captives of badr

It has been narrated on the authority of 'umar b. al-Khattab who said: When it was the day on which the Battle of Badr was fought, the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) cast a glance at the infidels, and they were one thousand while his own Companions were three hundred and nineteen. The Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) turned (his face) towards the Qibla Then he stretched his hands and began his supplication to his Lord:" O Allah, accomplish for me what Thou hast promised to me. O Allah, bring about what Thou hast promised to me. O Allah, if this small band of Muslims is destroyed. Thou will not be worshipped on this earth." He continued his supplication to his Lord, stretching his hands, facing the Qibla, until his mantle slipped down from his shoulders. So Abu Bakr came to him, picked up his mantle and put it on his shoulders. Then he embraced him from behind and said:. Prophet of Allah, this prayer of yours to your Lord will suffice you, and He will fulfil for you what He has promised you. So Allah, the Glorious and Exalted, revealed (the Qur'anic verse):" When ye appealed to your Lord for help, He responded to your call (saying): I will help you with one thousand angels coming in succession." So Allah helped him with angels. Abu Zumail said that the badith was narrated to him by Ibn 'Abbas who said: While on that day a Muslim was chasing a disbeliever who was going ahead of him, he heard over him' the swishing of the whip and the voice of the rider saying: Go ahead, Haizi'm! He glanced at the polytheist who had (now) fallen down on his back. When he looked at him (carefully he found that) there was a scar on his nose and his face was torn as if it had been lashed with a whip, and had turned green with its poison. An Ansari came to the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) and related this (event) to him. He said: You have told the truth. This was the help from the third heaven. The Muslims that day (i. e. the day of the Battle of Badr) killed seventy persons and captured seventy. The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said to Abu Bakr and 'umar (Allah be pleased with them): What is your opinion about these captives? Abu Bakr said: They are our kith and kin. I think you should release them after getting from them a ransom. This will be a source of strength to us against the infidels. It is quite possible that Allah may guide them to Islam. Then the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: What is your opinion. Ibn Khattab? He said: Messenger of Allah. I do not hold the same opinion as Abu Bakr. I am of the opinion that you should hand them over to us so that we may cut off their heads. Hand over 'Aqil to 'ali that he may cut off his head, and hand over such and such relative to me that I may but off his head. They are leaders of the disbelievers and veterans among them. The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) approved the opinion of Abu Bakr and did not approve what I said The next day when I came to the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him), I found that both he and Abu Bakr were sitting shedding tears. I said: Messenger of Allah, why are you and your Companion shedding tears? Tell me the reason. For I will weep ate, if not, I will at least pretend to weep in sympathy with you. The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: I weep for what has happened to your companions for taking ransom (from the prisoners). I was shown the torture to which they were subjected. It was brought to me as close as this tree. (He pointed to a tree close to him.) Then God revealed the verse:" It is not befitting for a prophet that he should take prisoners until the force of the disbelievers has been crushed..." to the end of the verse:" so eat ye the spoils of war, (it is) lawful and pure. So Allah made booty lawful for them."  (Book #019, Hadith #4360)

Ibn Umer (ra) mentions the fault of his dad but not Ali (ra)
there is no need to mention Ali (ra)

Ibn umar reported that umar saw Utarid al-Tamimi standing in the market (and selling) the silk garments, and he was the person who went to (courts of) kings and got (high prices) for these garments from them. umar said: Allah's Messenger I saw 'Utarid standing in the market with a silk garment; would that you buy and wear it for (receiving) the delegations of Arabs when they visit you? I (the narrator) said: I think he ('umar) also said: You may wear it on Friday (also). Thereupon, Allah's Messenger (may peace he upon him) said: He who wears silk in this world has no share in the Hereafter. Later on when these silk garments were presented to Allah's Massenger (may peace be upon him) he presented one silk garment to 'umar and presented one also to Usama b. Zaid and gave one to 'ali b. Abu 'Talib. saying: Tear them and make head coverings for your ladies. 'umar came carrying his garment and said: Allah's Messenger, you have sent it to me, whereas you had said yesterday about the (silk) garment of Utarid what you had to say. He (the Holy Prophet) said: I have not sent it to you that you wear it, but I have sent It to you so that you may derive benefit out of it; and Usama (donned) the garment (presented to him) and appeared to be brisk, whereupon Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) looked at him with a look by which he perceived that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) did not like what he had done. He said: Allah's Messenger. why is it that you look at me like this. whereas you yourself presented it to me? He said: I never sent it to you to wear it, but I sent It to you so that you may tear it and make out head covering for your ladies.  (Book #024, Hadith #5143)

Umer (ra) acknowledged The Luckiness of Ali (ra)

Suhail reported on the authority of Abu Huraira that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said on the Day of Khaibar: I shall certainly give this standard in the hand of one who loves Allah and his Messenger and Allah will grant victory at his hand. umar b. Khattab said: Never did I cherish for leadership but on that day. I came before him with the hope that I may be called for this, but Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) called 'ali b. Abu Talib and he conferred (this honour) upon him and said: Proceed on and do not look about until Allah grants you victory, and 'ali went a bit and then halted and did not look about and then said in a loud voice: Allah's Messenger, on what issue should I fight with the people? Thereupon he (the Prophet) said: Fight with them until they bear testimony to the fact that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is his Messenger, and when they do that then their blood and their riches are inviolable from your hands but what is justified by law and their reckoning is with Allah.  (Book #031, Hadith #5917)




Sharing Prophet insight about one another

Abu Huraira reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) was upon the mountain of Hira, ' and there were along with him Abu Bakr, umar, Uthman. 'ali, Talha, 'Zubair, that the mountain stirred; thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Be calm, there is none upon you but a Prophet, a Fiddle (the testifier of truth) and a Martyr.  (Book #031, Hadith #5942)

(120) Abu Huraira reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) was on the mountain of Hira' that it stirred; thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Hira! be calm, for there is none upon you but a Prophet, a Siddiq, a Shahid, and there were upon it Allah's Prophet (may peace be upon him), Abu Bakr, 'umar, Uthman, 'ali, Talha, Zubair, Sa'd b. Abi Waqqas (Allah be pleased witli them).  (Book #031, Hadith #5943)

Abu Dawad

Ali (ra) fiqh acknowledged again by Umer (ra)

Narrated ali ibn AbuTalib: Ibn Abbas said: A lunatic woman who had committed adultery was brought to umar. He consulted the people and ordered that she should be stoned. ali ibn AbuTalib passed by and said: What is the matter with this (woman)? They said: This is a lunatic woman belonging to a certain family. She has committed adultery. umar has given orders that she should be stoned. He said: Take her back. He then came to him and said: Commander of the Faithful, do you not know that there are three people whose actions are not recorded: a lunatic till he is restored to reason, a sleeper till he awakes, and a boy till he reaches puberty? He said: Yes. He then asked: Why is it that this woman is being stoned? He said: There is nothing. He then said: Let her go. He (umar) let her go and began to utter: Allah is most great.  (Book #38, Hadith #4385)

Narrated ali ibn AbuTalib: AbuZubyan said: A woman who had committed adultery was brought to umar. He gave orders that she should be stoned. ali passed by just then. He seized her and let her go. umar was informed of it. He said: Ask ali to come to me. ali came to him and said: Commander of the Faithful, you know that the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said: There are three (people) whose actions are not recorded: A boy till he reaches puberty, a sleeper till he awakes, a lunatic till he is restored to reason. This is an idiot (mad) woman belonging to the family of so and so. Someone might have done this action with her when she suffered the fit of lunacy. umar said: I do not know. ali said: I do not know.  (Book #38, Hadith #4388)

Umer's Vision of Leadership and the top 10 promised paradise

Sa'id ibn Zayd ibn Amr ibn Nufayl: Abdullah ibn Zalim al-Mazini said: I heard Sa'id ibn Zayd ibn Amr ibn Nufayl say: When so and so came to Kufah, and made so and so stand to address the people, Sa'id ibn Zayd caught hold of my hand and said: Are you seeing this tyrant? I bear witness to the nine people that they will go to Paradise. If I testify to the tenth too, I shall not be sinful. I asked: Who are the nine? He said: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) said when he was on Hira': Be still, Hira', for only a Prophet, or an ever-truthful, or a martyr is on you. I asked: Who are those nine? He said: The Apostle of Allah, AbuBakr, umar, Uthman, ali, Talhah, az-Zubayr, Sa'd ibn AbuWaqqas and AbdurRahman ibn Awf. I asked: Who is the tenth? He paused a moment and said: it is I.

Sa'id ibn Zayd: AbdurRahman ibn al-Akhnas said that when he was in the mosque, a man mentioned ali (may Allah be pleased with him). So Sa'id ibn Zayd got up and said: I bear witness to the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) that I heard him say: Ten persons will go to Paradise: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) will go to Paradise, AbuBakr will go to Paradise, umar will go to Paradise, Uthman will go to Paradise, ali will go to Paradise, Talhah will go to Paradise: az-Zubayr ibn al-Awwam will go to paradise, Sa'd ibn Malik will go to Paradise, and AbdurRahman ibn Awf will go to Paradise. If I wish, I can mention the tenth. The People asked: Who is he:

Ali names his Son Umer (ra)

Narrated ali ibn umar ibn Husayn ibn ali: The Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) as saying: Do not go out much when there are few people about , for Allah the Exalted scatters abroad of His beasts in that hour (according to Ibn Marwan's version). Ibn Marwan's version has: For Allah has creatures. He then mentioned the barking of dogs and braying of asses in a similar manner. He added in his version: Ibn al-Had said: Shurahbil ibn al-Hajib told me on the authority of Jabir ibn Abdullah from the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) similar to it.  (Book #41, Hadith #5085)

Muwatta

Usman (ra) names his son Umer ...usually one leader does not like the past leaders so much

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab from ali ibn Husayn ibn ali from umar ibn Uthman ibn Affan from Usama ibn Zayd that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "A muslim does not inherit from a kafir."  (Book #27, Hadith #27.12.10)

Marraige of Fatimah--- witnesses
Mahr of Ali by Usman

Once Ali and Fatimah had a fight and The Prophet brought Umer and Abu Bakr as mediators and as witnesses



How Umer (ra) came to legal verdicts

Yahya related to me from Malik from Thawr ibn Zayd ad-Dili that umar ibn al-Khattab asked advice about a man drinking wine. ali ibn Abi Talib said to him, "We think that you flog him for it with eighty lashes. Because when he drinks, he becomes intoxicated, and when he becomes intoxicated, he talks confusedly, and when he talks confusedly, he lies." (80 lashes is the same amount as for slandering) umar gave eighty lashes for drinking wine.  (Book #42, Hadith #42.1.2)


Umer's Reliance on Ali Fiqh even with other Giants were involved


After his conversion, ad-Dari became an adviser to Prophet Muhammad (saw), particularly on public worship. His advice included the introduction of oil lamps in masjid. In addition to being an adviser.  Even such a great scholar among the companions of the Prophet (saw), Umer reffered to Ali even in Matters of the well read in the community. Tamim's wife thought he was dead and married to another man. The matter was communicated to Caliph Umar, and he referred it to Ali who said that the Prophet has foreseen all that would happen to Tamim and left the wife to have her own choice between the two husbands. The wife, however, decided to go back to Tamim al-Dari"



Law la Ali, Halaka Umer (ra)

The List of Badrs and Hassan and Hussain
Stipend for Ahlul Bait

The argument of Hassan (ra)  and ibn Umer (ra) weak narration

  1. Prayed behind them
  2. Gave advice to them
  3. Said good things about them
  4. Was nominated by them
  5. Was appreciated by them
  6. Everything happned in front of others




Prior to Prophet Muhammad's (saw)  death, al-Dari was granted a large fief for control of Hebron, Beit Einun and the surrounding area, although at that time Palestine was still under Byzantine control. The deed was written up by Ali and when the caliph Umar and his Rashidun army conquered Palestine, al-Dari acquired the territory. Since, he had only one daughter and no sons, after al-Dari's (ra)  death, the heirs of the Hebron fiefdom would be the descendants of his brother Nu'aim. Originally, al-Dari's role as the ruler of the fiefdom was to collect land taxes. He was forbidden to enslave any of the locals or sell their property, al-Dari left Medina to reside in his native Palestine where he died in 661.According to tradition, he is buried in the town of Bayt Jibrin (in the vicinity of Hebron), destroyed by Israel in 1948

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Pages